Everyone is busy analyzing what the Democrats have learned from the midterm elections. The real question is what Republicans have learned from this election. Within 25 minutes, 8 Republicans voted to continue the practice of pork barrel spending, while 15 voted to give the FDA unlimited power to shut down food producers and cut jobs.
Here is a list of the 8 Republicans who voted against the Coburn AMDT. to S.510 (S. AMDT. 4697), which would have placed a moratorium on earmarks.
Inhofe (R-OK)Lugar (R-IN)
Here is a list of those 15 Republicans who supported the unconstitutional, food-Nazi, job killing bill. (S.510)
The amazing thing about both lists is that they include so many names from ruby red states like Utah, Mississippi, Alabama, Indiana, Wyoming, etc. Is this the best that we can do from such conservative states? Do the Democrats elect Senators from deep blue states Vermont and California who vote with conservatives? Also, it is interesting to note that Mark Kirk has wasted no time in joining the Senate and voting with the Dems. And as we predicted, Joe Manchin has voted with the Democrat leadership every single time! With friends like these who needs enemies?
Update: Here is a synopsis of the food bill from Fox News. If this is not a socialist, job killing bill, then I don't know what is.
- Gives the FDA long-sought power to force a company to recall foods believed to be contaminated and to impose fees on those companies under a mandatory recall.
- Authorizes the FDA to impose new fees for reinspecting those facilities and for registering food importers.
- Requires FDA to inspect registered domestic “high risk” food producers (as defined by HHS – parent of FDA) at least once five years after passage of the bill.
- Requires food processors, growers, and importers to meet additional safety requirements for high-risk foods and to meet new safety and security rules for the importation of food.
- Requires companies to turn over test results and other records to federal officials on domestic or imported food items believed to be contaminated.
- Requires imported food suppliers to meet established food safety requirements with a certification.
- Requires food processors to impose and monitor food safety systems.